Graduate Student Supervision
The Graduate Students’ Association, along with the Provost and the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, initiated a Graduate Student Supervision Task Force in 2011-2012. Professor Naomi Krogman was appointed as a Provost’s Fellow to examine the quality of graduate student and post-doctoral fellow supervision at the University of Alberta.
Her final report “The Quality of Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Supervision at the University of Alberta” was released in April 2014, and contained five main recommendations; sub-recommendations were developed under each main one:
- Earlier guidance to students to improve student success
- Increased accountability of supervisors and departments for good supervision to address hidden weaknesses
- Training and mentorship to supervisors to raise standards of supervision and mentorship
- Guidance and mentorship to students to improve culture of mentorship
- Better integrate post-doctoral trainees into department culture; provide more training on post-doctoral scholar supervision, and more post-doctoral scholar professional development training opportunities
For additional information on supervision:
The GSA continues to review and consider the recommendations contained in Dr. Krogman’s report.