Mental Health Services 

Below is a list of the mental health services available to U of A graduate students.

GSA Services

GSA Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP)

  • Established for graduate students through a referendum in 2008, GSAP provides confidential professional counselling for a broad range of personal problems including managing anxiety and depression, controlling substance use, resolving family conflict, and more.
  • Homewood Health Solutions' health professionals are registered psychologists or master's-level registered counselors, chosen for their extensive experience dealing with a variety of psychological and health issues.

GSA Health and Dental Plan

  • Established for graduate students through referenda in 1994 and 2003, the GSA Health and Dental plan offers a maximum of $30 per visit and up to $500 per policy year for mental health services.

U of A Services

U of A Counselling and Clinical Services

  • Counselling and Clinical Services also offers a number of drop-in workshops and group programs, including a graduate student support group. Group sessions are added or removed throughout the year. Check the Group Therapy section of Counselling and Clinical Services website for a current list.
  • After contacting Clinical and Counselling Services, they will 1) provide an Initial Consultation where a registered professional meets with the student to provide a therapeutic experience and information; 2) conduct a mental health needs and risks assessment; 3) determine acuity level and connect individuals to appropriate services, both within Clinical and Counselling Services or in other areas.

Counselling and Clinical Services - Satellite Office in Triffo Hall

  • There is a Satellite Office of Counselling and Clinical Services located in Triffo Hall, with a psychologist working exclusively with graduate students. To make an appointment with the Triffo Hall psychologist, please contact Counselling and Clinical Services.

Note: Before making an appointment with the psychologist, a 30-60 minute initial assessment must be done. Initial assessments can be done on a walk-in basis in person at Counselling and Clinical Services or by calling

U of A Community Social Work Team

  • The Community Social Work Team is overseen by the Office of the Dean of Students, and provides support to students in connecting to each other, the campus community, and to resources on and off campus. The Team is supported by a grant from the Province of Alberta for mental health initiatives on campus.