GSA Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
1. Sponsor/Purpose and Eligibility Criteria
The purpose of these awards is to recognize Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) who are especially skillful and dedicated teachers at the University of Alberta. Only GTA appointments held for University of Alberta courses during a graduate student’s current academic program (as a graduate student of the University of Alberta) will be considered. Seven (7) awards valued at $500 each may be conferred annually. These awards are funded by the Graduate Student Support Fund (GSSF).
2. Nomination Information
- Click Here to Download the Nominee Information Form.
- Nominators must submit one (1) copy of the completed nomination package to the GSA office.
- A completed nomination package must include ONLY the following components:
- Completed Nomination Information Form.
- Two letters of support that address how the nominee meets all of the criteria stated under Section 3.
- One of the letters must be written by a student taught by the nominee.
- One of the letters must be written by the supervising Course Instructor and/or Lab Supervisor.
- Both letters must address the nominee's role in the course.
Letters must be signed; electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Copies of Teaching Evaluation Summaries.
- In the event evaluations from the department
are not available, a letter from the department confirming the teaching
activities and, where possible, any evaluations of the student as a
Teaching Assistant must be provided.
- A condensed CV that includes teaching assistant activities undertaken during the nominee's current degree program.
- Enrollment Verification Document.
- This can be obtained in person from
FGSR or printed from Beartracks. (See the GSA Awards
Q&A for instructions.)
- Submit ONLY the documentation listed. Do not include additional documents other than those listed. They will not be considered.
- Nomination Deadline: January 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM (MST)
- ALL components of the nomination package must be received together by the GSA office in order for a nomination package to be considered complete. All materials must be submitted as a completed nomination package hard copy to the GSA office (1-37 Triffo Hall), or as a PDF via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Incomplete packages will not be accepted or adjudicated.
- Nomination packages delivered to the GSA dropbox or received time-stamped via e-mail after the nomination deadline (to be announced) will be date stamped as arriving the next business day. Late nomination packages will not be accepted.
- Letters must arrive with the rest of the nomination package. Nomination packages will NOT be accepted without letters, and letters will NOT be accepted separately via e-mail.
- Letter writers should be advised that letters submitted after the nomination deadline (to be announced) will NOT be accepted. Based on our past experiences with late letters of support, we encourage nominators to obtain letters of support well in advance of the deadline to ensure the nomination package is complete. We also strongly advise that nominators inform letter writers of the deadline information.
3. Adjudication Criteria
The GSA Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Awards are adjudicated on the basis of three (3) criteria:
- Teaching evaluations;
- Effort to build a constructive rapport with students; and
- Evidence of dedication to teaching and students.
Each criterion will be ranked on a scale of 1-5 (5 being high) and then added to determine the total rank for the nominee.
4. Adjudication Policy and Procedure
- Nominations will be reviewed by the GSA staff for eligibility and completeness (see Eligibility Criteria and Nomination Information above).
- According to its mandate, the GSA Awards Selection Committee (GSA ASC) “is responsible for selecting the recipients of the Council-approved GSA Awards” and “the GSA ASC may decide not to give out an award in a particular category if a qualified candidate is not identified” (Section O: GSA Recognition Awards, GSA Policy, GSA Standing Committees, GSA Awards and Selection Committee, Sections O.POL.5.1 and O.POL.5.2).
- Results of the adjudication will be sent to nominators and nominees via email.