GSA Graduate Student Service Awards
1. Sponsor/Purpose and Eligibility Criteria
The purpose of these awards is to recognize the endeavours of graduate students (either working individually or with a University student group) in service to other members of the University and/or wider community. Only the activities undertaken during a graduate student’s current program (as a graduate student of the University of Alberta) will be considered. Four (4) Graduate Student Service Awards valued at $1000 each may be conferred annually. These awards are funded by the Graduate Student Support Fund (GSSF).
2. Nomination Information
- Click Here to Download the Nominee Information Form.
- Nominators must submit one (1) copy of the completed nomination package to the GSA office.
- A completed nomination package must include ONLY the following components:
- Completed Nomination Information Form.
- Two letters of support that address how the nominee meets the criteria stated under Section 3.
- Both letters must focus on the nominee's participation, effort, and impact.
- Both letters must be from organizations with whom the nominee volunteers.
Letters must be signed; electronic signatures are acceptable.
- A condensed CV outlining the significance and duration of service
activities undertaken during the nominee's current degree program.
- Enrollment Verification Document.
- This can be obtained in person from FGSR
or printed from Bear Tracks. (See the GSA Awards
Q&A for instructions.)
- Submit ONLY the documentation listed. Do not include additional documents other than those listed. They will not be considered.
- Nomination Deadline: January 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM (MST)
- ALL components of the nomination package must be received together by the GSA office in order for a nomination package to be considered complete. All materials must be submitted as a completed nomination package hard copy to the GSA office (1-49 Triffo Hall), or as a PDF via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Incomplete packages will not be accepted or adjudicated.
- Nomination packages delivered to the GSA dropbox or received time-stamped via e-mail after the nomination deadline will be date stamped as arriving the next business day. Late nomination packages will not be accepted.
- Letters must arrive with the rest of the nomination package. Nomination packages will NOT be accepted without letters, and letters will NOT be accepted separately via e-mail.
- Letter writers should be advised that letters submitted after the nomination deadline will NOT be accepted. Based on our past experiences with late letters of support, we encourage nominators to obtain letters of support well in advance of the deadline to ensure the nomination package is complete. We also strongly advise that nominators inform letter writers of the deadline information.
3. Adjudication Criteria
The Graduate Student Service Awards recognize excellence of contribution to the community in a general framework of service. They will be adjudicated on the basis of three (3) criteria:
- Duration, length, and breadth of community service and/or outreach activities;
- Leadership in community involvement; and
- Significance/impact of community work and/or leadership in non-academic community engagement.
Each criterion will be ranked on a scale of 1-5 (5 being high) and then added to determine the total rank for the nominee.
4. Adjudication Policy and Procedure
- Nominations will be reviewed by the GSA staff for eligibility and completeness (see Eligibility Criteria and Nomination Information above).
to its mandate, the GSA Awards Selection Committee (GSA ASC) “is responsible for selecting the recipients of the Council-approved GSA Awards” and “the GSA ASC may decide not to give out an award in a particular category if a qualified candidate is not identified” (Section O: GSA Recognition Awards, GSA Policy, GSA Standing Committees, GSA Awards and Selection Committee, Sections O.POL.5.1 and O.POL.5.2).
- Results of the adjudication will be sent to nominators and nominees via email.