GSA Non-Academic Staff Award
1. Sponsor/Purpose and Eligibility Criteria
The purpose of this award is to recognize a member of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA) of the University of Alberta for their exceptional performance and/or service to graduate students. Any member of NASA is eligible for this award. The nominee must have been a member of NASA when their contribution was made. Self-nominations are not accepted. Group nominations are not accepted. One (1) or more Certificate(s) of Distinction may be conferred annually.
2. Nomination Information
- Click Here to Download the Nominee Information Form.
- Nominators must submit one (1) copy of the completed nomination package to the GSA office.
- A completed nomination package must include ONLY the following components:
- Completed Nomination Information Form.
- Two letters of support that address how the nominee meets the criteria stated under Section 3 below.
- Both letters must be written by graduate students.
Letters must be signed; electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Submit ONLY the documentation listed. Do not include additional documents other than those listed. They will not be considered.
- Nomination Deadline: January 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM (MST)
- ALL components of the nomination package must be received together by the GSA office in order for a nomination package to be considered complete. All materials must be submitted as a completed nomination package hard copy to the GSA office (1-49 Triffo Hall), or as a PDF via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nomination packages delivered to the GSA dropbox or received time-stamped via e-mail after the nomination deadline will be date stamped as arriving the next business day. Late nomination packages will not be accepted.
- Letters must arrive with the rest of the nomination package. Nomination packages will NOT be accepted without letters, and letters will NOT be accepted separately via e-mail.
- Letter writers should be advised that letters submitted after the nomination deadline will NOT be accepted. Based on our past experiences with late letters of support, we encourage nominators to obtain letters of support well in advance of the deadline to ensure the nomination package is complete. We also strongly advise that nominators inform letter writers of the deadline information.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Group nominations are not accepted.
- Incomplete packages will not be accepted or adjudicated.
3. Adjudication Criteria
The Non-Academic Staff Award will be adjudicated on the basis of two (2) criteria:
- Excellence in support of graduate student teaching and/or research leadership in collaboration with graduate students;
- Overall commitment to the success of graduate students in their programs.
Each criterion will be ranked on a scale of 1-5 (5 being high) and then added to determine the total rank for the nominee.
4. Adjudication Policy and Procedure
- Nominations will be reviewed by the GSA staff for eligibility and completeness (see Eligibility Criteria and Nomination Information above).
to its mandate, the GSA Awards Selection Committee (GSA ASC) “is responsible for selecting the recipients of the Council-approved GSA Awards” and “the GSA ASC may decide not to give out an award in a particular category if a qualified candidate is not identified” (Section O: GSA Recognition Awards, GSA Policy, GSA Standing Committees, GSA Awards and Selection Committee, Sections O.POL.5.1 and O.POL.5.2).
- Results of the adjudication will be sent to nominators and nominees via email.