A Guide to Applying for GSA Recognition Awards
This guide is meant to informally help graduate students navigate some of the requirements of applying for GSA Recognition Awards. Any further questions regarding GSA Recognition Awards can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on the GSA Recognition Awards and Adjudication Criteria, as well as the composition and mandate of the GSA Awards Selection Committee, can be found in GSA Bylaw and Policy, Section O: GSA Recognition Awards.
Information on the GSA Recognition Awards Adjudication Procedures can be found in GSA Board Policy.
If there is any discrepancy between the information on this website and the information found in GSA Bylaw and Policy and GSA Board Policy, GSA Bylaw and Policy and GSA Board Policy take precedent.
1. How many awards can you be nominated or self-nominated for and receive?
- According to GSA Policy regarding the number of awards you can be nominated or self-nominated for, “no maximum but must meet the application eligibility requirements for the Award and each award applied for must have a complete application package.”
- Regarding the number of times an individual can be nominated or self-nominated for the same award each year, GSA Policy states, "No more than one (1)."
- Regarding the number of awards you can receive each year, GSA Policy states "No more than one (1)."
- Regarding the number of times an individual or a group can receive the same award, GSA Policy states "No more than two (2) times."
2. Can I use the same Nomination Information Form for more than one award?
- No, each completed nomination package must include a new Nominee Information Form, even if the same nominee is submitting multiple award nominations.
3. Can I nominate myself?
Yes! Students can nominate themselves for GSA Recognition Awards. Only the following Recognition Awards must have a nominator (group nominations are not accepted):
- GSA Academic Staff Award
- GSA Graduate Student Supervisor Awards
- GSA Life-Long Membership Award
- GSA Non-Academic Staff Award
4. How should I organize my CV?
- The GSA Awards Selection Committee recommends that students order the contents of their CV in relation to the award for which they are applying (eg if you are applying for the GSA Graduate Student Service Award, place your volunteer experience closer to the top).
- The GSA Awards Selection Committee recommends that each section of your CV be listed in
- Please do not include a cover letter.
5. How do I get an Enrollment Verification Document?
- Enrollment Verification Documents can be printed from Bear Tracks. Sign on with your CCID at https://www.beartracks.ualberta.ca/ and navigate to "Academics" --> "My Academics" --> "Verification Documents" - select the tab for "Enrollment/Degree/Credential Verification Document". Follow the instructions to select the Enrollment Verification and be sure to click the option to Print Online (below the box).
- Enrollment Verification Documents can also be obtained in person at the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
- Enrollment Verification Documents should NOT be sent directly to the GSA office, as they must arrive with your nomination package.
- The following awards do not require an Enrollment Verification Document: Academic Staff Award, Life-Long Membership Award, Non-Academic Staff Award, Graduate Student Supervisor Award, and Academically-Related Graduate Student Group Award. All other awards require an Enrollment Verification Document.
6. How do I know which award(s) I am eligible for?
- The GSA offers numerous Recognition Awards and often the biggest challenge/issue graduate students have is “what award should I nominate myself for?” These Q&As are meant to informally help graduate students navigate the various categories of GSA Recognition Awards. The Q&As will also assist the GSA Awards Selection Committee by helping to ensure that the nomination best meets the minimum eligibility requirements for the specific award being considered.
- In all cases you need to review the complete information and nomination package requirements for the specific awards you are considering. This information is found on the GSA website under each award heading.
A. TEACHING AWARDS
- Are you a Principal Instructor? If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Principal Instructor Teaching Awards.
- Are you a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)? If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Awards.
B. RESEARCH AWARDS
- Are you a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)? If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Research Assistant Awards.
- Do you have an exceptional record of publications and conference presentations related to quality research/creative activity? If yes, then review the information for the Martha Piper Awards.
C. COMMUNITY SERVICE AND VOLUNTEERING
- Do you have a strong record of community service and volunteering?
- If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Service Awards.
- If yes and your service has made a significant contribution to Edmonton and to Alberta, then review the information for the TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Award for Outstanding GSA Student Service.
D. Are you an INTERNATIONAL Student? Do you have an excellent record of service, research, and teaching?
- If yes, then review the information for the International Graduate Student Award.
E. Are you in the FIRST YEAR or YEAR AND A HALF of your graduate program? Do you have an exceptionally strong record of service, research, and teaching?
- If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Rising Star Awards.
F. OTHER AWARDS
- The GSA also recognizes the important role of Academically-Related Graduate Student Groups in graduate student life. Please consider reviewing the eligibility requirements and nominating your registered graduate student group for the Academically-Related Graduate Student Group Award.
- There are also a number of awards recognizing the amazing Faculty and Staff, Alumni, and Benefactors who support and mentor graduate students; these awards include the Academic Staff Award, Non-Academic Staff Award, Life-Long Membership Award, and Graduate Student Supervisor Awards. Please review the information for these awards and consider nominating eligible individuals. Group nominations are not accepted.
Any questions about GSA Recognition Awards should be sent to email@example.com