The Graduate Students' Association offers four types of funding to support graduate students during their degree programs:
- Funding to allow students to participate in academic activities such as conferences.
- An income-based program provided to help offset the financial demand on our members in relation to child care.
- Non-repayable bursaries to help graduate students pay for costly unanticipated emergencies.
- Funding offered to registered graduate student groups to help support the costs of start-up, seminars, colloquia, or other academic events.
The Graduate Student Support Fund (GSSF) is bargained for by the GSA Negotiating Committee during Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement negotiations. Currently, there is $789,000 available to all graduate students through the GSSF; $18,000 is used to fund the GSA Recognition Awards, and the remaining amount is used to support graduate students through the GSA Grants, Awards, and Bursaries.
Please Note: GSA Policy states that "If all available funds have been expended in the specific period, no additional applications will be accepted during that period".
Please Note: If you are unable to attend the event for which you received ATA funding, or received funds in excess of the amount you were originally approved for, it is your responsibility to notify the GSA immediately. You may be required to repay any excess funds received.
Working with U of A Payroll Operations, the GSA uses Direct Deposit for Child Care Grants and Academic Travel Awards.
In order to receive funds you must be already enrolled in Direct Deposit and have granted consent to view your T4/T4A receipts online.
- Enroll in Direct Deposit by visiting http://www.hrs.ualberta.ca/MyEmployment/ESS.aspx and clicking on “Add Direct Deposit”.
- Grant your consent to view and print T4/T4A receipts online by visiting http://www.hrs.ualberta.ca/MyEmployment/ESS.aspx and clicking on “Granting Consent”.
Other sources of funding:
- Student Loans
- A direct link to the Student Financial Aid Office for students.
- GSA Recognition Awards
- Presented at the annual GSA Awards Night, held in the spring. Certain awards have a financial value.